• This is the first time she appeared on our door step. We took her in because for the most part, she was an easy pet to take care off.
  • This is supposed to be for those who are not married, but I am answering the tags as a person who have had (mostly) a dream wedding
  • Today, we had a really, really nice day. :-) Hubby, me, my classmate Yan and her room-mate, Hong Li took a trip to Cleveland Zoo.
  • Semester is nearly over...

S'thing borrowed to s'thing blue!

For more, go to this website

Lagi seminggu nak sekolah haruslah buat bende2 tak berfaedah kan? He he he. Starting with...




Something borrowed

Dah lama nak tengok movie dia. I've read the book and was curious to see what the movie would be like (watch the trailer above if you haven't seen it!). I know a lot of people don't favor movie based on books but I don't really mind. Besides, Emily Griffin is a fantastic writer who writes about romantic relationships, and that isn't too hard to replicate in my opinion. I loved most of the casting. I thought Kate Hudson was perfect as Darcy, and the male actor as Dex (I can't remember his name, but he has been described in the book as the guy who had 'perfect hair) but Ginnifer Goodwin is too pretty as Rachel. She's supposed to be really plain Jane but no way is she that! Sweet/pretty is more like it, I think. Anyway, this movie is light-hearted and fun. I loved the script, especially the banter between Ethan & Darcy. And lets face it, it's pretty realistic. How many of us has had a Darcy in our lives? You know, the friend who tries to show up everyone, the one who is ultra-competitive, yet is so sensitive (or rather oblivious) to any criticism. In my opinion, this movie depicts the complicated dynamics of female friendship much better than other chick flicks, such as Bride Wars (also coincidentally starring Kate Hudson!). I was just rather peeved with Rachel's reaction to Darcy's behavior, in the book as well as in the movie. She's at fault because: a) she has given in to Darcy all of her life and NEVER said a word about it even though she's obviously hurt and b) if she really loved Dex, she should have said something before it was too late, and she had many opportunities! And yes, snatching a BFF's fiance/bf is taboo in female friendships, and you can sort of understand Darcy's over the top reaction to it. All in all, even though there were one or two minor things (that I can observe) that strayed slightly from the book, I thought the movie was a good representation of the book.

Moving on to...

Something blue
It was on reduced discount on Amazon so I downloaded it in my Kindle. This book is a continuation of Something Borrowed. This time, it's based on Darcy's point of view. Now, if you've read/seen Something Borrowed, you would absolutely hate this character. Emily Griffin is such a good writer that you ended up rooting for her! It starts with the scene where Darcy finds out that her friend Rachel is having an affair with her fiance. Darcy being Darcy, she is absolutely gob-smacked that goodie goodie Rachel 'betrayed her' and that Dex would prefer a PLAIN JANE instead of HER. She also decides to absolutely milk the situation and exploit it to her advantage by announcing Rachel's betrayal to everyone in sight and neglects to mention that she had cheated on Dex on several occasions (although she justified it as 'not sex' but just heavy 'making out') and actually got pregnant by having sex with Dex's best friend, Marcus! However, things don't go her way as she has a major falling out with her parents, and people rapidly lose sympathy with her predicament, and when Marcus abandons her, it is the last straw as she is left without any support system. The only one she usually relies on in times of crisis, is Rachel, and she already told Rachel to drop dead! She decides that the only course of action she can take is to flee to England to live with Ethan (who took a job as a writer in London). I liked the description in the book about English culture and way of life, and I find the blow up between her and Ethan believable. Hence, my favorite thing in the book is her transformation from a selfish hoe to a mature adult. And yes, there is a happy ending so no worries. For a chick flick, this is one of the BEST of its genre. :-) But don't take my word for it: read it on a lazy Sunday when you want to waste a couple of hours, and want to finish a good book in one sitting.

Jotted by,
 

2 rejoinders:

Anonymous,  August 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM  
Reply To This Comment

Have you seen 127 hours? It is a good one

Silent Scribbler,  August 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM   Reply To This Comment

Tak, tak tengok lagi. Will look out for it. Thanks for the referral. Selamat hari raya! :-)

Post a Comment

Next previous home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

The cat

PitaPata Cat tickers

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital