• This is the first time she appeared on our door step. We took her in because for the most part, she was an easy pet to take care off.
  • This is supposed to be for those who are not married, but I am answering the tags as a person who have had (mostly) a dream wedding
  • Today, we had a really, really nice day. :-) Hubby, me, my classmate Yan and her room-mate, Hong Li took a trip to Cleveland Zoo.
  • Semester is nearly over...

I c.u.r.s.e. you ETS!!

I'm trying to study for GRE but after a few pages of Maths concepts and terminologies, its giving me a blinding headache!

For the uninitiated, GRE is a postgraduate requirement exam for those intending to pursue their postgraduate studies to the US. It consist of the verbal, maths and analytical writing sections. The verbal is known for its toughness and for using obscure words Americans don't even use (er... what does 'plethora' and 'chicanery' means again??!!) but I think I can manage if I study the list of words; about 3/4 are words that I vaguely know the meaning.

What I'm having problems right now is the Maths. I am breaking into cold sweats right now just thinking about it. Joey kindly tried to calm me down by saying it's only high school maths, that's true some of it is (basic geometry, algebra and fractions) and I am crossing my fingers that some topics won't come out that much (e.g. permutation, factorials etc, those are actually Add Maths questions, and I didn't even take Add Maths in high school!!!!). But the truth here is, I have Maths-o-phobia (try to look in the "Hit Parade" words in the verbal section of GRE to see if such word exist!). I am with Maths, the way some people are with public speaking. The symptoms are there: nervousness, cold sweats, rapid heart beat, shaky fingers, and at the most extreme, my mind can go completely blank. I won't even be able to say my full name, let alone solve fraction problems! Sigh. How sad. :-(

Right now, I am just crossing my fingers, studying the text book, trying to answer the practice test questions and hoping for the best. Wish me luck, I'm going to need every single bit.

Note: ETS is the organization that conducts the GRE test. :-P

Jotted by,

6 rejoinders:

Anonymous,  November 17, 2008 at 1:36 AM  
Reply To This Comment

huh, aku ingat kenangan semusim mengambik add math masa form 4. soklan pertama kat page pertama pun x leh jawab! wpun buku teks dia sgt comel dan kecik.

Silent Scribbler,  November 17, 2008 at 3:16 AM   Reply To This Comment

W@ni: Doesn't Maths just sucks!!! He he he he. :-P At least ko ada gak amik Add maths. Aku haram tak pernah tgk pun buku teks Add Maths.

Anonymous,  November 17, 2008 at 4:04 AM  
Reply To This Comment

hey,
i feel sorry for you. perhaps you're dyscalculic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

good luck anyway!

Silent Scribbler,  November 17, 2008 at 7:34 AM   Reply To This Comment

Mo: It's OK. I have a propensity for hyperbole! (Ha ha ha ha, that's two words from the GRE hit parade! :-P). Anyway, I'll just do my best. For my area, they don't normally look at the Maths score that hard, they would usually expect better scoring for verbal and analytical writing. Thanks for the wish, though! :-)

la Signora,  November 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM   Reply To This Comment

Good luck wei!I was a dunce at maths back in school, but I actually learn to love maths when I took business maths in a college and actually became quite good at it, alhamdulillah.You can't go wrong when you get the formula right, so don't worry darling, practice makes perfect! (tetiba teringat time zaman skolah dulu my mom hari-hari made us sister do maths in the living room or else tak bley main kat playground!ARgh!)

Silent Scribbler,  November 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM   Reply To This Comment

La Signora: Thank you akak. Yeah, hopefully with more practice, I will be less 'blur'. He he he he.

Post a Comment

Next previous home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

The cat

PitaPata Cat tickers

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital