Nostalgia filem 80an
I'm feeling rather homesick this week. One of the banes of living overseas is you constantly have to fight your longing for home. I am not sure how others do it, but I talk to friends back home, text my mum or at least I surf the Net for local gossip. While You Tubing yesterday, I found a whole compilation of old local movies in the 80s and that opened a floodgate of memories. I particularly sniffled at this video of the soundtrack of my all time favorite "Ali Setan", the evergreen "Wajah Rahsia Hati". How classic! I never get tired of listening to it, and I watch the movie over and over again. Take a peek!
Walking down memory lane, here's my favorite top five Malay movies of the 80s, in no particular order:
- Ali Setan - how hilarious! Several unforgettable seen: Ali getting hit by the egg, the veiled reference to "Katak" scene in the classroom (I wished I had a lecturer like that!), and of course, scenes during the most famous line in the movie: "tipah tertipu bang, tipah tertipu!". And I'm sure you all noticed how gorgeous Ogy, Liza Abdullah, and Sheila Majid looked. They didn't even need much make up! I love it because the campus scenes always make me think back of my own college years. Interesting tidbit: Abdullah Hassan, the dean pictured in USM did wind up working in my department for a couple of years before retiring (kalau tak silap).

- Dewi Cinta - who remembers this one? A collaborative effort between Malaysia and Indonesia. I think this is where I first fell in love with the Indonesian language and the culture; Dr. Arman's gentle and sweet persona was enough to make you fall head over heels because of his quintessential gallant persona.
I've been trying to look for a copy of this over You Tube but no such luck yet. Ogy and Azmil makes a great pairing (again) so that's another reason why I never forgot this movie. Interesting tidbit: Richie Ricardo, who played Dr. Arman died from brain cancer in his early 40s.... - Sikit Punya Gila - this is, I swear, THE MOST HILARIOUS Malay movie of all time in the 1980s. I think it was the antics of Hamid Gurkha that won me over! Tak kering gusi. Favorite scene where Hamid brushes the teeth of the fish prior to cooking it and Yusni Jaafar choking on a corn cob!
It's a satisfying movie because although the main character is always down on his luck (Dharma and Hamid G), the underdog manages to win the day because you can't help but root for him! This is also a movie that I can watch repeatedly without feeling bored or disgusted. - Gila Gila Remaja - directed in 1985, another teen flick like "Ali Setan". I just loved it because it's fun and light. It is this is the movie that elevated him to heart-throb status. Rosham Nor, I think must be in one of his movie debuts. Dan jgn ingat mat rempit tu zaman skrg je!

- Azura - another Ogy movie. She looked so fresh faced here! Although I don't particularly care for Jamal Abdillah, I loved his duet here with Ogy. Ni cerita sedih and jiwang....

Memang betul filem zaman skrg tak berkualiti macam filem zaman dulu2. I don't really watch Malay movies now; not unless it's by Afdlin Shauki or he's acting in it. Just for a touch of home, I think I will have another round of "Sikit Punya Gila" tonight!
What's your favorite 80s Malay flick?
Jotted by,
What's your favorite 80s Malay flick?Jotted by,















2 rejoinders:
my fav? Mr Os sbb dia mengangkat martabat negeri perak hahah :p
Cite2 Mr. Os best jugak kan? :-) BTW, aku dah check balik aduan ko. Tapi aku boleh je key in comment sbb background isi komen ni putih, patut boleh nampak. Pelik jugak ye. Nanti aku godek2 jap.
Post a Comment