Review: The Stranger Beside Me
Image credit to this site
I've reviewed this book before, but in my previous blog. I can't be bothered to look it up again, and I didn't have any intention to review this book again but the moment I opened the book, I knew I was going to have a second go at it, as the book has been revised and Ann Rule has included an updated forward of the book in 2008. I would say of all the books that I've read so far, this is the one that is always on top of my can't put down list. No matter how many times I read it, I'm always entranced by it.
For the uninitiated, this book is about Ted Bundy, America's most famous serial killer in the 1980s. Yes, it's a bit morbid, but I can't help but be fascinated by this man. Ann knew him personally, so this book is not so much a chronicle of his murders, the brutality of his crimes, a retelling of his capture, escape and recapture, but rather an incredulous account of a criminal's life seen through the eyes of a friend. All throughout the book I find Ann's retelling compelling because of her personal ties to him. She knew him BEFORE his killing spree started and I felt that she was a tad defensive in explaining why she didn't see it coming, despite her training as a policewomen and crime reporter. But one can't help thinking that it was because he was so manipulative and charming that very few people suspected him a serial murderer and rapist.
What's special about this edition of the book is the end to the debate on whether Ted was insane or a sociopath. Here, she was very vehement about this. I am no psychologist, but I gathered that she believed he was not insane; he knew the difference between right or wrong, and his crimes were always (well, almost always) well thought out and methodical. He knew when to strike and which victim to choose. It was interesting that the victims he chose in Utah, Washington and Seattle were beautiful, slender, intelligent, well accomplished young women, and they were all troubled in their own way. They either were disoriented by alcohol, had a physical impairment (short sighted) or they had their own emotional problems (i.e. runaways, fight with boyfriends etc). And at the crux of it all, they reminded him of Stephanie, the only women to ever reject him, hence the physical similarities among his victims (usually dark straight hair, parted in the middle).
The best thing about Ann is that she doesn't delve into the legal technicalities too much. When I read crime books, I want to know the whys. Here, she does that excellently. Her account of Bundy's life and actions were so real. Perhaps it was also because she knew him in real life.
Another thing I found profoundly interesting in this book is Ann's attempt to humanize Ted Bundy. She tried to dispel the hero worship and myth surrounding Ted Bundy. Even after he was captured, he still received dozens of letters from women flirting with him and wanting to marry him. She tries to paint a more realistic picture of Bundy by describing in graphic detail the nature of his crimes, the fear and terror he instilled in his victims who barely escaped and what he was really, truly like. I still feel goosebumps when I reread some of the more gory passages, and today I actually had a nightmare! Sad says I'm reading it too intensely and should give it up for a day or two! Another detail that I really liked about this updated version was the FAQ section on Ted Bundy. Here, Ann answers some questions about Bundy (including the question whether she was ever in love with him!). She also included a section on his execution, which I found fascinating. It was an account of his last living moment by an officer who was present during his execution.
All in all, I feel that of all her books, this is her best masterpiece. It's honest, brutal , explosive and gripping. A definite must-read for all true crime aficionados.
Jotted by,













2 rejoinders:
WOW. excellent book review, aisha. blom baca actual book aku dah intrigue gile! hihi. mcm criminal minds plak kan.
you have narrowed down the book very well, but little enough to make ur readers wanna read the whole book!
i enjoy crime novels, but so far it's always been the VERY mild agatha christie! hahaha.. ;)
my cannot-put-down book is probably george orwell's 'animal farm'. have u read it?
Syigim: Thank you dear. I just love the book. I think it's her best work. But hey, I still enjoy Agatha Christie too. I still keep a lot of her novels at home. Oh, isn't that a classic? (animal farm)? George Orwell kan? A'ah, dah baca. Best gile buku tu. Satire at it's best!
Post a Comment