• This is the first time she appeared on our door step. We took her in because for the most part, she was an easy pet to take care off.
  • This is supposed to be for those who are not married, but I am answering the tags as a person who have had (mostly) a dream wedding
  • Today, we had a really, really nice day. :-) Hubby, me, my classmate Yan and her room-mate, Hong Li took a trip to Cleveland Zoo.
  • Semester is nearly over...

The kids are all right!



Wow... it's been quite some time since the last update. I've been busy tying things up for this semester, and I think I am doing OK for my classes except for Stats III. The instructor is mercurial, very prone to sudden outbursts and plays favorites in class. Therefore, things are definitely unpredictable. Last semester for Stats II, we could tell the lowest grade we were getting was a 'B' (and that is guaranteed even though you get all As for your assignments!) but this semester what worries me is that the lowest grade is a 'C'. A 'C' is bad because I have to repeat the subject, and I know this won't be offered again next semester because he is leaving and they haven't found a replacement for him yet. Oh well... as usual I try my very best and hope that everything is OK. People often ask me about my grades in grad school. Really, it doesn't really matter because at the end of the day, in the academic world people look at the quality of your thesis. All the 'As' in the class don't really matter if you can't apply it all to a good thesis! 

Add to that my classmates (who are mostly Americans) are really very laid back about grades and are not really competitive. And I love it this semester that there are about 5 of us in the same boat and we are working together (e.g sharing notes, doing homework together)... that definitely takes the stress out of things. However, things are not the same in all departments. I was shocked when somebody I knew (who was in a different course, and in an almost all international students kind of course) remarked that she didn't care about the 'learning' in class and was intent on collecting all As and getting a 4.0 every semester!!! This was rather strange coming from a grad student OK! And isn't that a lot of pressure on yourself? But who am I to say... he he he he he. Students in Malaysia are typically concerned about getting As all the time through regurgitating and taking as many extra classes as they can. An education system that is set up in rewarding academic achievement by how many As you get... can you really blame them?
Original poster. Source: Google images and this website

Anyway... I digress. I wanted to write about the movie I saw recently. I know, I know, it's a bit late to write about it since the Oscars already came and went but this movie is totally worth the watch. You should already know that I guess from the all star cast: Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo... I now know why some people thought that Annette Bening should have won for her portrayal as half lesbian couple. It was interesting that they portrayed lesbian couples are very similar to the traditional hetero couples; one is earning and the other one keeps house. Annette is excellent as the 'man of the house': self-absorbed, tight assed, overworked and over-entitled! Their kids grows up wondering who their father is and they seek out their sperm donor, a rather disheveled looking Mark Ruffalo. Turns out he wants to play dad without having the burden of responsibility, and is rather a cad. He turns out sleeping with one of the lesbians (huh??) whilst having already an affair with another young lady working in his cafe (he has his own business). BTW, that young lady is played  by Yaya DeCosta who was formerly in America's Next Top Model. I must say she's a pretty decent actress! (better than expected!). Lest I spoil the plot for you (TMI?) all is well in the end. I really loved their realistic treatment of the modern blended American family and the sensitive portrayal of how lesbian couples face the same problems like all other couples: empty nest syndrome, defining success with academic achievement, not taking for granted your partner etc. I am not sure if this movie has been (or will be) shown in Malaysia due to the sensitive topic, but if you have a chance to watch this, please do! Watch the trailer, too if you're curious!

Have a great week, everybody!

Jotted by,

2 rejoinders:

Iffah Zara,  May 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM   Reply To This Comment

movie ni best!!! dah tengok dvd beberapa bulan lepas..i love it.

Silent Scribbler,  May 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM   Reply To This Comment

Ina: Betul tu memang best. Mesti tak tayang kat wayang msia nih... tak lepas! He he he he.

Post a Comment

Next previous home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

The cat

PitaPata Cat tickers

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital