It's been a month!
Wow... I can't believe it's been a month that I've been in Kent. Here are some short updates (to those who have been wondering :-P):
School etc
Things have been improving. I am no longer scared in class, just a tad intimidated. He he he he. Assignments are piling up but I am taking it a day at a time. No point getting too stressed out about it. It's a learning curve, hopefully soon I will get the hang of things. By the end of this semester though I am supposed to decide what specialization area I should be heading because the subjects I take will determine my comprehensive exams. I think I am almost sure what to do, but lets give it some time till the end of this semester to see. My school is good in Interpersonal, and there are about 2-3 good supervisors in that area. People here are quite nice really, and I don't really get stared at. In fact, there are a few Asian students in my program.
Apartment etc
We've moved in comfortably. I am sure some of you have seen the pics in FB. Today, we actually got a sofa bed and rugs. So we have some decent furniture now! He he he he. Some of the other furniture were donated kindly by our friends (i.e. Joey, Na) and we even got some nice dishes today from Devi, an Indonesian girl we met at an open house last week. I don't see the point of getting really expensive stuff since we are only going to be here for maximum four years. We haven't even bought our own car yet. Probably that will be sometime in December, when the winter time starts. Apparently, winter here is quite vicious so we have to get a car to get around and buy groceries. We don't have an awful lot yet, but the apartment is cozy and comfortable so I am grateful for small things. :-)
Friends
We've made a few new friends here, mainly Malaysians in the Kent area. There are so few of us so that when we meet up it feels almost like home. Seeing a Muslim face is also something I normally look forward to. Automatically, if you run into a women wearing scarf on campus (usually Arab or Pakistanis) they will look up to me and give salam, complete with a warm smile. Now how often do you see that happening in Malaysia? :-P
Funny observations
I am still trying to get their slang here. Once or twice, I've had to repeat myself. My English is still not American. I don't think I want to adopt a slang. Perhaps I will just adjust myself when I am speaking to American friends and classmates, but other than that, I am happy to retain my 'lah'. He he he. Cultural differences? Americans are very diplomatic in the way they talk. I.e. everything is 'have a nice day' 'how are you doing' 'good to see you', for one. The professors treat their students like friends, at least at the post graduate level. They way they joke also differ. It's a very sarcastic, quip-ish way of joking, and once or twice I have been caught of guard because I never know if they are joking or not. And oh! my friend warned me never to extend an invitation to an American friend if you don't mean it, a.k.a. "ajak2 ayam", they really expect to turn up if you invite them at their houses! And of course, customer service here is really fantastic. We are always greeted professionally, and I have yet to meet an irate cashier.
Guess this would be it for now. I've had an exciting day today, so I must turn in early tonight. Have a good week, all! :-)
p.s: Frea, pop quiz. At what stage am I in intercultural adaptation? He he he he. :-P
Jotted by,
Apartment etc
We've moved in comfortably. I am sure some of you have seen the pics in FB. Today, we actually got a sofa bed and rugs. So we have some decent furniture now! He he he he. Some of the other furniture were donated kindly by our friends (i.e. Joey, Na) and we even got some nice dishes today from Devi, an Indonesian girl we met at an open house last week. I don't see the point of getting really expensive stuff since we are only going to be here for maximum four years. We haven't even bought our own car yet. Probably that will be sometime in December, when the winter time starts. Apparently, winter here is quite vicious so we have to get a car to get around and buy groceries. We don't have an awful lot yet, but the apartment is cozy and comfortable so I am grateful for small things. :-)
Friends
We've made a few new friends here, mainly Malaysians in the Kent area. There are so few of us so that when we meet up it feels almost like home. Seeing a Muslim face is also something I normally look forward to. Automatically, if you run into a women wearing scarf on campus (usually Arab or Pakistanis) they will look up to me and give salam, complete with a warm smile. Now how often do you see that happening in Malaysia? :-P
Funny observations
I am still trying to get their slang here. Once or twice, I've had to repeat myself. My English is still not American. I don't think I want to adopt a slang. Perhaps I will just adjust myself when I am speaking to American friends and classmates, but other than that, I am happy to retain my 'lah'. He he he. Cultural differences? Americans are very diplomatic in the way they talk. I.e. everything is 'have a nice day' 'how are you doing' 'good to see you', for one. The professors treat their students like friends, at least at the post graduate level. They way they joke also differ. It's a very sarcastic, quip-ish way of joking, and once or twice I have been caught of guard because I never know if they are joking or not. And oh! my friend warned me never to extend an invitation to an American friend if you don't mean it, a.k.a. "ajak2 ayam", they really expect to turn up if you invite them at their houses! And of course, customer service here is really fantastic. We are always greeted professionally, and I have yet to meet an irate cashier.
Guess this would be it for now. I've had an exciting day today, so I must turn in early tonight. Have a good week, all! :-)
p.s: Frea, pop quiz. At what stage am I in intercultural adaptation? He he he he. :-P
Jotted by,












6 rejoinders:
It's adjustment phase!
Or maybe already at acceptance and adaptation phase? I guess more to adjustment :P
Ah, i'm happy seeing you doing very well there, madam. Miss you alot, pengen jalan2 lagi sama madam :P
Oh iya, selamat raya madam, mohon maaf zahir batin ya :)
i love that bit about being 'grateful for small things' - really terharu. kat rantau orang, eh. we have to make do with what we have.
when i was in melb pun professors insisted we call them by first names. weird, as i felt i was way younger than they were so agak rude. but hey, thats their culture huh?
a nice piece. glad ur settling down well and happy :)
Frea: Probably not acceptance, but adjustment. He he he. Total acceptance will take more time. :-P Saya juga kangen ama Grace, pengen jalan2, nonton ma makan bareng kayak dulu. I had a lot of nice memories with you. You take care yah? I hope things are going well. Met hari raya juga buat kamu. :-)
Syigim: thanks ya dear. Kat rantau orang tak boleh mengada-ngada. He he he he. There are some really nice things about living here anyway, and I am constantly surprised. You got that right about the culture thing, i bet your professors also wore sweats and t-shirts to class. :-) I wish I could do that back home!
wish i am there instead of here...will trade anything to get that kind of experience. even 3weeks in us was the best moments in life....glad u r ok and doing well.i will update u on my life.really topsy turvy and beyond comprehensionm i.e especially my emotional dept.hehehehe.kirim salam pada sad
Hey mee... i was wondering what happened to you. You must have been busy. Takpe, just e-mail me when you have time. Sad just set up skype so I'll try to give you a call later when things are not so hectic.
Post a Comment