Adjustment phase
Friends and loyal readers (ade ke? :-P), I'm just about settled down so now I have a bit of time to blog.
We moved into our apartment last week after a few days at Joey's place. Being in this strange land, the hospitality of our fellow countrymen has really helped a lot. It's good to have a familiar face in this unfamiliar surroundings. To Joey, thanks a lot for all your help!
I just started class this week, and feeling a wee bit depressed. I'm afraid my post graduate education in Malaysia was not sufficient enough to prepare me for this. Americans think differently, and definitely post graduate requires more than just book reading and outlining facts. It requires analytical and critical thinking and I am not sure if I have that in sufficient dose. I barely speak in class. I know it's not the language barrier; several people have commented that my English is excellent. Maybe I am intimidated by my classmates. And of course sometimes they make references to issues that I know very little about, i.e. Obama's health reforms, ads on American TVs that I have never seen about, cultural values that are totally alien to mine. The instructors are OK, although I am scared in one class. The professor is this beady eyed, sleepy looking dragon lady who looks a bit mean tempered, and she muffles her words so I can hardly understand her at times (maybe she's nice, I shouldn't be saying this because I don't really know her!). The expectation for 'doc' students are also very high (we're expected to churn out publication very soon!) and I am feeling a bit drowned right now. It is at times like this that such e-mails (as posted below look very tempting!):
Anyway, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself. It is only the first week. And there has been bright spots. People here are really nice and supportive. And I have my wonderful husband here for support, which is more than what some people have. Guess this is all for now. We're supposed to go hunting for halal food and some spices today, that should take my blues away! Once I get some interesting pictures, I'll upload it here.
Have a nice weekend, friends and readers. :-) And although this is a tad late, Ramadhan Mubarak to those who are fasting.
Jotted by,
Jotted by,












14 rejoinders:
..reading your post reminds me about the ICC subject about adaptation. Oh, I envy you madam, I wish I could be there and gain more knowledge, I wish I could make it in my master, amin.
Anyway, dont push your self too hard, everything will be ok as the time being. I know you are a tough woman. Miss u alot, madam :)
Salam frea. I miss you a lot too. things are not that easy here, but I have my husband with me so that's good. :-) sorry i got disconnected while chatting with you yesterday, i was on my way out too so I didn't ave time to talk to you after that. take care, and let me know if anything. am always ready to listen.
nothing can be the same..things evolve and it takes time adjusting .look at the brighter side of it, u r finally there.considering what u had to go thru, just enjoy ur life dear.things will be better...we are after all noted to be boisterous, loud, opinionated and point blank when it comes to stating our opinions..u will bounce back.
Anon: is this emee? he he he. thanks for the advice. I don't know about opinionated, but i'd like to say a word or two every now and then. :-P but yes, hopefully things will get better.
aku rasa anon tu mmg emee. Dia pun penah cakap pasal 'bounce back' kat aku. anyway esah, u shouldn't!!! Orang susah2 nak belajo kat state wooo... :D
w@ni: ha ha ha aku pun rasa emee. Mee, lain kali letak lah nama. :-) Insya-Allah aku cuba bertahan. :-P
hehehehe...where is the fun if everyone knows who i am.seriously i will do anyhting to be in ur shoes rite now,dpt further study.la ni office ada policy gila,young officers r x encourage to further their study for fear that we might run away upon graduation and shortage of manpower during our study.mcm bodoh la kan.
Emee: Kantoi! Ha ha ha ha. Bila dapat Internet kasitau. We are so due for a chat. Take care. I miss you.
gile banyak cerita kena update nanti...working on it...miss u to.had bukak puasa with jazee last week at the curve, specifically at the marche....if only u were around.
The blues.. I had that for the longest of time and when I finally got over the blues, it was time to come home.
If you'd really like to be objective about your choices, take them both to paper and make proper comparisons on their quality and value. Then, there'll be the issue of getting your sponsor to agree to the move/change and what further nots.
If after all those considerations you find NTU still a positive and viable change, why not? It's much much nearer to home, only 1 stop by air/land/sea from point to point and they speak Malay too, some of them. And lots of halal food.
But where's the challenge in that?
*lets see you try figure out who this anon is now :P*
Anon: No lah. I am just venting. Sponsors will not allow me to change place, they were very clear about that. The offer from NTU alas, came too late. But then again, it's very challenging there too. Ps: here also got halal food. He he he he.
PS: Anon Two, who else can you be but my cousin TA? :-P Language and tone can be quite distinctive. He he he he.
Ala, kantoi.. :P
Tuan Azmil: I told you how distinctive you are! :-P
Post a Comment